Grade: Band 3
Salary: £39,216 - £45,843 plus London allowances
Contract type: Permanent appointment (full-time)
Application of the 3Rs plays an essential role in achieving scientific excellence. The NC3Rs supports the development and uptake of new research tools and models with reduced reliance on the use of animals and/or improved animal welfare and its activities are divided between its role as a 3Rs research funder and programmes led by its own team of scientists. Further information can be found atwww.nc3rs.org.uk.
We provide a range of funding mechanisms to support projects, infrastructure, and training and career development. The awards we make deliver 3Rs benefits, as well as advancing the scientific field across a breadth of subjects such as improving the understanding of human diseases, developing efficacious and safe medicines, and protecting the environment. We are the main funder of 3Rs research in the UK, with over £70 million committed through our funding schemes, since the Centre’s establishment in 2004. Further information on the awards we have made to-date can be found at https://www.nc3rs.org.uk/our-science.
Role of Programme Manager – Research Funding
The role of the Research Funding Programme Manager offers a unique opportunity to work with researchers at all career stages to stimulate change and inspire innovation to advance the 3Rs and the research base.
In addition to having responsibility for the annual funding calls for the Project grant and Skills and Knowledge Transfer schemes, which aim to drive the creation of 3Rs approaches and technologies and to support the adoption of 3Rs tools, technologies and skills within routine research practice respectively, this role also involves identifying opportunities to maximise the 3Rs impact and outputs of the Centre’s portfolio of research grants.
The main elements of this role are outlined below:
- Maximise dissemination and uptake of 3Rs advances arising from research grants by building collaborative relationships with grant holders through visits, focused workshops and the NC3Rs gateway.
- Promote the Centre’s funding schemes through institutional visits, webinars and presentations.
- Support the funding schemes’ application process including providing guidance to applicants, presenting at applicant workshops, selecting referees, allocating applications to Panel members and compiling applicant feedback.
- Review the Centre’s portfolio of research grants including monitoring the progress of awards and collating outcomes and impacts reported on visits and Researchfish to produce evaluation reports, scheme reviews and to monitor scheme performance.
- Work with award holders to ensure that the methodologies developed as part of their NC3Rs grants are published in enough detail to facilitate adoption and have a clearly described 3Rs impact, on a freely accessible platform such as the NC3Rs gateway.
- Work with the NC3Rs Communications team to produce impact case studies, news articles, award announcements and other materials aimed at both scientific and lay audiences.
- Identify opportunities to work with other research funders on areas of mutual strategic importance to build capacity in the 3Rs.
- Represent the NC3Rs in a variety of collaborations and networks.
- Build and sustain relationships with key external stakeholders, including Panel members.
- Contribute to evolution of the NC3Rs research funding strategy, schemes and policies.
- The Programme Manager will also contribute to other activities where appropriate and will be part of the Funding Team within the Science and Technology group.
- The ability to work as part of a dynamic team is essential.
- There will be no formal staff management responsibilities.
- The post is based primarily in London but travel to attend meetings in other UK and/or overseas locations is required.
- The post holder will need to work early and/or late when required – especially around key meetings and events.
The closing date for applications is Wednesday 20 January 2021.
Interviews will take place on Monday 1 February 2021.
Click apply for further information.