Grant Thornton is one of the world's leading independent assurance, tax and advisory firms. We are driven by independent thinkers that provide high quality business and financial advice to a wide range of clients in countries all over the world.
The Finance Consulting team help with the development of our clients’ finance functions so that they can provide the best possible support to our dynamic clients’ wider organisations. At times that will mean helping our clients to address a specific known issue (such as speeding up month end, improving the quality of Management Information, or providing training on aspects such as Business Partnering). At other times we are asked to help diagnose the root cause of the symptoms experienced by our clients, provide an opinion of how a finance function benchmarks against its peers, or to take a very broad role in helping to redesign a “future fit” finance function. At all times we work alongside our clients in close partnership, providing insight, challenge, and pragmatic support to address their challenges and tee them up for the future demands they will face.
Let’s talk about the job
If you enjoy working on a wide-reaching range of projects that help make life easier for CFOs, FDs and their finance functions then you’ll fit right in here. Some things you can expect from this Finance Consulting Manager role and laid out below – although the role is varied and this won’t cover everything.
Making quality second nature
This means doing what’s right even when no one’s looking. The work that you will do has a major impact on our clients and our firm. We pride ourselves on the high-level standards we have for the work that we do.
Own your own work
- Demonstrate understanding of services and capability of Finance Consulting as well as Grant Thornton
- Take personal responsibility and pride towards high quality of assigned deliverables
- Manage projects requiring minimum revision from the senior colleagues once the direction has been set together
- Proactively seek involvement in upcoming assignments and internal, practice development initiatives
- Demonstrate good time management skills
Be a part of a team
- Demonstrate collaborative attitude towards colleagues from Business Consulting as well as wider Grant Thornton, always looking to bring the most appropriate capabilities to our clients regardless of departmental boundaries
- Contribute to positive morale, enthusiasm and entrepreneurial culture within Business Consulting
- Seek regular feedback from colleagues and demonstrate evidence of efforts towards improvements while also helping to develop others in the team
- Actively listen to others and ask searching follow up questions that challenges thinking beyond immediate concerns
- Confidently communicate with Executive client members such as CFOs and FDs and successfully manage the expectations of senior colleagues
- Take responsibility for identifying, suggesting and driving practice development initiatives – be they internal business development, external marketing, or the continued improvement of our toolkit
- Take responsibility for managing engagement budgets and timelines
- Assist in managing at least one key client account
- Demonstrate industry and technical knowledge and apply this in the context of client related internal and external projects
- Proactively seek necessary training programmes to seek and improve necessary consulting skills
Build your brand
- Assist in leading on business development activities as appropriate, such as preparing proposals, sales pitches, attending external events, helping to prepare for Grant Thornton speaking engagements, drafting thought leadership, etc.
- Stay abreast of relevant market and sector updates and provide insights to the internal team
- Bring and maintain a network of contacts, within the firm and increasingly within the wider business community
- Take initiative to propose and participate in market research
- Identify opportunities for new business or cross-selling and collaborate with senior colleagues on them
- Act as a brand ambassador for Business Consulting as well as Grant Thornton
- Keep the firm's database updated
The minimum criteria
- ACA/ CIMA Qualified (or other relevant qualifications)
- A background in External Audit or line-finance roles in Industry would be advantageous
Skills to set you apart
- Here are a few more skills we are looking for. Don’t worry if you don’t tick every box. It’s important for us to support you in your role and help you to develop along the way.
- Proven experience in managing Finance Change or Transformation Projects or Programmes
- Ability to use a framework and methodology-driven approach to identify a root case, propose an appropriate approach in response, and deliver a solution
- Ability to provide commercial and strategic thinking to propose solutions to clients
- Ability to work with and influence senior stakeholders and an ability to show true empathy
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, including in a variety of different media
- Proven experience in data analysis
- Financial modelling skills
- Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
Do you care about the same things we do?
We have six values we work by. When we meet, we’ll want you to show us how they’re important to you, too.
Collaboration: We work together, share ideas and always make time to help each other out.
Leadership: Everyone has the chance to lead their own projects.
Excellence: Quality is central to our purpose. We love what we do, and it shows. We sweat the details. We see things through, no matter how tricky.
Agility: The world moves quickly. To keep up, we stay flexible – changing approaches, changing projects, working offline, online, together and alone to get things done.
Respect: A given, of course: we value each other and our clients. We listen, we understand, we care.
Responsibility: The decisions we make and advice we give affects people’s lives and livelihoods. We take that seriously and always do well by doing what’s right.
Share ideas and profits
Unlike most firms, we’re also a shared enterprise. So when the firm does well, everyone does well by taking home a share of the profits. Of course, to get those profits, we need to share ideas and share responsibility for our work, too.
Bring your whole self
Now you’ve seen our values, it shouldn’t be a surprise that we’re creating a respectful, open, diverse place to work. Building an inclusive culture, where we value difference and respect our colleagues, is not just the right thing to do, it helps our people to perform at the best of their ability and realise their potential.
“We are committed to making sure that the opportunities within our firm are equally accessible for everyone – regardless of background or gender.” Dave Dunckley, CEO
There’s more to life than work
Families, children, sports, night classes…the things you do and the people you’re with outside work matter. They can inspire, motivate and energise you. Inside the office and out. So if you’d like to work flexibly, let us know. We’re happy to look at flexible working options for all our roles, and we’ll always do our best to keep your work and life in balance.