Grant Thornton is one of the world's leading independent assurance, tax and advisory firms. We are driven by independent thinkers that provide high quality business and financial advice to a wide range of clients in countries all over the world.
We believe we’re best positioned to make a meaningful impact on the economy. Every day, we provide a diverse range of organisations with the kind of business and financial advice it takes to do this. Our ideas and insight empower our clients to make big decisions about the future and unlock sustainable growth. With a relentless focus on quality and integrity, we help businesses, communities and our people to flourish.
A Manager in Business Consulting will work as part of a project team, sometimes leading one or more Executives and involving other service lines. A Manager will be responsible for leading projects with oversight and support from an Associate Director/Director/Partner and will interface directly with client management, stakeholders, other Grant Thornton advisors, whilst taking responsibility for risk management, budgets and billing. The manager will also be expected to contribute towards business development activities.
Come and think independently with an organisation that’s doing the same. We empower our people to bring new ideas to the table and take the lead in driving them forward. It’s invigorating. It’s inspiring. It’s creating opportunities every day for our clients, our business, and everyone here. So bring your passion, ambitions and ideas, and together, let’s make change happen.
Business Consulting are a truly global team, made up of highly experienced people, with more than half a millennium of experience.
We have grown our practice around the brightest people with varied backgrounds and more than two thirds of our team have held line management roles in industry in European and global businesses. We have successfully completed more than 200 projects across a wide range of sectors and service lines. Our team’s efforts have been recognised with various consultancy industry awards and nominations in respect of the high quality of the work that we do.
This is a client facing role, and the successful candidate will be engaged in delivering a positive impact on client-based projects. While you will be based in one of our Grant Thornton offices, significant travel will be required for client-based projects within the UK and overseas. We work across various industries; our clients are varied, and therefore location will vary.
Let’s talk about the job
If you enjoy working on a wide-reaching range of projects that will help businesses and communities flourish, you’ll fit right in.
Here are some things you can expect from this Transformation and PMO consultant role.
Making quality second nature. This means doing what’s right even when no one’s looking. The work that you will do has a major impact on our clients and our firm. We pride ourselves on the high-level standards we have for the work that we do.
Own your own work.
- Working as part of a team in helping clients shape their transformation plans in identifying the opportunity for change, what will make it successful and defining in a transformation roadmap
- Providing Programme Management capabilities on large-scale transformation and change for our varied clients
- Supporting the design, implementation and development of project, programme or portfolio management offices in overseeing change and transformation
- Developing plans and managing critical paths based on a clear understanding of the inter-dependencies between workstreams and projects etc.
- Providing insights and analysis on the performance of the change and in providing the client with valuable inputs in facilitating decision making and informing thinking and plans
Be a part of a team.
- Mentoring and managing less experienced project team members
- Drafting and reviewing project progress reports
- Leading on processes around identification, mapping and management of risk / issue / action / dependency management in relation to the programme, project or initiative
- Managing / maintaining project assets ensuring documentation is kept up to date and facilitating effective sharing / communication
- Build your brand. Internal and external networking, in progressing business development and targeting activity
The minimum criteria
- 5+ years’ experience of managing the delivery of project different types of complex projects, either within industry or with a consultancy
- Working knowledge and experience across multiple sectors and industries
Skills to set you apart
- Here are a few more skills we are looking for. Don’t worry if you don’t tick every box. It’s important for us to support you in your role and help you to develop along the way.
- Experience of assisting with the design and development of a PMO from the ground up
- Development of project plans across work streams and management of critical paths and dependencies in a project
- Project / Programme management qualification e.g. Prince2, MoP, and understanding and experience of other project management methodologies (e.g. Agile)
- Ability to coach, mentor and manage others in a project tea
- Experience of progress reporting and risk management; preparation of status updates and reports as part of a PMO
- Experience with preparation of programme / project initiation and mobilisation documents incl. budgets and business cases
- Excellent communication, organisational problem solving and analytical skills; confidence in, and capable of managing communications and engagement at all levels from C-Suite and project sponsorship, through to fellow team members and stakeholders
- Ability to take initiative and self-manage, with a ‘can do’ attitude, ability to cope with tight deadlines and work under pressure
- Understanding of, and experience in using Project Management software
Do you care about the same things we do?
We have six values we work by. When we meet, we’ll want you to show us how they’re important to you, too.
Collaboration: We work together, share ideas and always make time to help each other out.
Leadership: Everyone has the chance to lead their own projects.
Excellence: Quality is central to our purpose. We love what we do, and it shows. We sweat the details. We see things through, no matter how tricky.
Agility: The world moves quickly. To keep up, we stay flexible – changing approaches, changing projects, working offline, online, together and alone to get things done.
Respect: A given, of course: we value each other and our clients. We listen, we understand, we care.
Responsibility: The decisions we make and advice we give affects people’s lives and livelihoods. We take that seriously and always do well by doing what’s right.
Share ideas and profits: Unlike most firms, we’re also a shared enterprise. So when the firm does well, everyone does well by taking home a share of the profits. Of course, to get those profits, we need to share ideas and share responsibility for our work, too.