Want to do the best work of your life? With 24 million customers in 7 countries, make your mark at Europe’s leading media and entertainment brand. A workplace where you can proudly be yourself; our people make Sky a truly exciting and inclusive place to work.
In the Sky Data Protection Team our purpose is to protect the privacy rights of our people and our customers, in a way that helps us connect them to more of what they love. As the opportunities to use data in ever more sophisticated and complex ways increase, this Legal Counsel role is an exciting opportunity to play a crucial part in delivering on that purpose.
What you’ll do:
- Provide expert advice and guidance on UK and EU privacy laws and regulations, including customer, supplier and employee privacy laws and regulations.
- Contribute to strategic business projects and transactions with a privacy impact by helping the business and other legal teams to identify solutions which achieve privacy assurance for Sky whilst maintaining commercial flexibility.
- Assist with team initiates to produce updated legal templates, guidance and playbooks to support other legal teams who negotiate DP provisions in high-value and complex commercial contracts and support Sky’s marketing functions.
- Work on regulatory matters including our engagement with regulators (including the ICO and the Irish DPC) on Sky-specific matters and broader policy matters and related consultations.
- Monitor privacy developments, and assist delivering legal updates, bespoke training and know-how updates as required including to privacy leaders, management and other appropriate groups (including Sky’s UK & Ireland Data Governance Committee).
- Support the DPO team where required on handling of data issues.
- Assist on matters with a Group angle including our ongoing integration work and the consequences of Brexit.
- Support in the development, maintenance and revision of data governance policies to ensure they remain fit for purpose and coherent.
What you’ll bring:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant experience plus varied advisory, contractual and regulatory experience on privacy matters, whether in private practice, in-house or a combination. Experience in advising a consumer-facing business and/or or in the telco/media/technology sector is preferable.
- A track record of collaboration, problem-solving and developing solutions to complex legal issues.
- A willingness to investigate operational issues in the context of incident management or regulatory engagement, conducting reviews of relevant issues with the relevant teams and distilling themes and trends for the business to assess and address.
- An ability to operate in a fast-paced commercial environment demonstrating flexibility/adaptability to manage a workload comprising multiple wide-ranging matters and conflicting deadlines.
- Excellent influencing, interpersonal and communication (written and verbal) skills, with an ability to adapt communication style to a variety of stakeholders across the business.
- The confidence to challenge the status quo when required and be proactive in suggesting different and new ways of working.
As a team, we pursue the highest standards and demonstrate commitment, integrity and judgement. We exist to add real value by sustainably providing the highest quality business-focussed legal expertise that keeps Sky competitive. Through our work we help to bring better content and innovation to all of our customers, better connecting them to more of what they love. Our vision is to create the Legal team of the future, together – operating at the heart of Sky, famous for adding value.
There’s a reason people can’t stop talking about #LifeAtSky. Our great range of rewards really are something special, here are just a few:
- Sky Q, for the TV you love all in one place
- A generous pension package
- Private healthcare
- Discounted mobile and broadband
Where you’ll work:
Our Osterley campus is a 10-minute walk from Syon Lane train station. Or you can hop on one of our free shuttle buses that run to and from Osterley, Chiswick Park, Gunnersbury, Acton Town and Ealing Broadway tube stations. There’s also plenty of parking, bike shelters and showers.
On-campus you’ll find six subsidised restaurants and a Waitrose. You can keep in shape at our subsidised gym, catch the latest shows and movies at our cinema, get your car washed and even get pampered at our beauty salon.
Recognised as an ‘Inclusive Top 50 Employer’ and a ‘Times Top 50 Employer for Women’, we’re working hard to ensure we’re a truly inclusive place to work. This means we don’t just look at your CV. We’re more focused on who you are and the potential you’ll bring to Sky. We also know that everyone has a life outside work, so we’re happy to discuss flexible working.
And we’ll do everything we can to support you during your application. If you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to support you.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Apply now to build an amazing career and be part of a brilliant team. We can’t wait to hear from you.
To find out more about working with us, search #LifeAtSky on social media. A job you love to talk about.
Just so you know: if your application is successful, we’ll ask you to complete a criminal record check. And depending on the role you have applied for and the nature of any convictions you may have, we might have to withdraw the offer.