SASC is an ambitious fast growing social investment fund manager providing flexible finance to inspiring social sector organisations. Our investment approach puts social impact at the heart of everything we do: we are committed to developing creative solutions that will enable organisations to grow and continue delivering scalable and sustainable solutions to social issues. Established in 2014, we have invested over £135m of capital into non-profit organisations across the UK. .We work with organisations who are tackling entrenched social issues such as poverty, homelessness, social isolation and unemployment. In May 2019, we launched a new Fund, Social and Sustainable Housing, that provides loans to charities to enable them to purchase housing for the vulnerable people they support. With a wider set of investors now on board, SASC is entering a new and exciting phase in its development and is seeking to expand the team. As part of the expansion, we have identified the need for a new role of Legal Manager, who will play a key part in the SASC team.
About the role
We are looking for a lawyer with first class credentials who wants to join a leading social impact investment organisation. You will be interested in the work we do and be keen to apply your legal and business skills set to help build out the legal resource at SASC. You will work closely with the General Counsel to support the investment and social impact activity of SASC, including working alongside the Investment and Portfolio team members in due diligence, negotiation and execution of investments and their management within the wider Portfolio.
This role will require strong transactional and negotiation skills acquired in a financial, corporate or asset management setting with the ability to take proactive steps and to work autonomously with lighter supervision. A key aspect of the role will be to work alongside our external counsel on deal execution and to help standardise and scale our deal processes over time. You will also help support all other governance and compliance related activities related to SASC and its funds under management.
What we are looking for
This is an excellent opportunity to work within a fast growing organisation with a highly experienced team and to gain excellent front line experience with colleagues who bring an array of expertise to deliver finance for good in the social impact investment sector.
· Experience working in a finance/corporate/asset management setting
· Strong mid-level experience of legal and transactional matters
· Ability to make informed decisions and take responsibility for matters within competence
· Ability to anticipate and/or solve problems and help others do so
· Ability to inspire and influence management
· Ability to work on own initiative, managing a demanding workload
· Negotiation skills
· Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders
· Excellent organisational, planning and project management skills and the ability to work to tight deadlines
· Strong IT skills
· A self-starter and a can do attitude