Mitie was founded in 1987, Mitie is the UK’s leading facilities management and professional services company, looking after a large, diverse, blue-chip customer base, from banks and retailers, to hospitals, schools and government offices. Mitie has over 77,000 people, 100+ office locations, and thousands of customers across the country, there’s no limit to what you can achieve if you work for us.
Objectives & Responsibilities
- Provide project management and technical support for the integrated projects team, responsible for the delivery of multidisciplinary solutions including sustainability projects such as BMS retrofit projects, Nationwide upgrade programmes, Carbon Reduction projects, metering, integrated Smart Building energy efficiency initiatives.
- Deliver quotes, specifications and technical solutions / recommendations.
- Accountable for the successful delivery all projects in accordance with the scope, programme, budget and quality requirements.
- Be flexible and adaptable to utilise common project management skills across a wide spectrum of projects delivered though Mitie Energy and located throughout the UK.
- Whilst ideally located in the South of England, the role can extend to projects that may be throughout the UK.
- Delivering contractual standards at all times that ensure the contractual risk is delivered within strict boundaries
- P&L responsibility for all aspects of profitable delivery of the projects including time and material analysis.
- Support the Mitie First strategy by utilising internal Mitie companies / operations where skill sets exist
- Ensure all contracted resources deliver to exceptional levels meeting all Health & Safety and compliance requirements
- Provide sales and account management support to the Business Development teams through technical and commercial evaluations and proposed solutions.
- Establish partnership relationships with our clients and sub-contractors to minimise the risk of conflict and unnecessary commercial cost.
- Establish a strong positive relationship with the Project Coordinators and Project Management team to deliver resource solutions that maintain a maximum delivered margin.
- Deliver in excess of £1m project revenue per annum.
Main Duties - Process
- Manage projects effectively and efficiently targeting a minimum of 20% profitability
- Deliver Project Management services to ensure compliance with the project specification, terms and conditions and energy strategy to ensure the delivered solution meets and achieved the intended output.
- Become an expert in the delivery of Mitie’s Carbon Reduction Solutions, delivering these efficiently and effectively.
- Contribute to the ongoing improvement and development of operational processes leading to increased efficiency and professionalism
- Operate within the realms of the defined processes and identify when these need to be adapted to accommodate the scope of the project delivery
- Carryout site surveys and prepare technical proposals and costings ensuring compliance with the pricing strategy and approval through the sales team.
- Take a proactive approach to leading innovative design solutions.
- Assist in resolving Technical solutions on site leading the commissioning process to help develop others.
- Comply with company and project health and safety standards ensuring the project site teams are presented with Risk Assessments, Method Statements and any known site restrictions
- Work with the Mitie approved supply chain and sub-contractors creating a partnership to ensure a high level of service delivery and management to minimise risk both operationally and financially.
- Maintain excellent document management, recording all project communication and documentation in a structured solution on the network drive.
- Carryout regular site inspections and recording of all incidents and near misses ensuring compliance with the company QHSE processes and standards.
- Assume responsibility for compliance to Employment Law, Health & Safety legislation & guidance and all relevant statutory requirements needed to do the job.
- Provide consultancy advice and services to enhance the delivered solution of third-party contractors, whether these be directly employed or the Client.
- Avoid costly mistakes of incorrect equipment ordering and unnecessary labour resource allocation through the sign off from sales of the technical solution and proposition prior to accepting the order to ensure what sold is deliverable.
- Comply fully with the Project Team processes and CDM requirements on all projects where this applies
- Verify the completion of the commissioning process by having the project engineer clearly demonstrate the control solution and signing this off prior to demonstration to the client.
Main Duties - Team
- Manage and coach the the Controls / Project engineers to maintain service standards and motivation at all times and provide regular feedback on project delivery to avoid failure and customer offence.
- Take a proactive approach to supporting the delivery of the projects working closely with the Project Coordinators and engineering team to maintain clear and concise communications that avoid mistakes, customer offence and individual frustrations.
- Coordinate all resource requests and coordination requirements through the Project Support Manager.
- Operate as a key team player sharing information and supporting colleagues to deliver a One Team solution.
- Provide the site-based delivery teams with the appropriate health and safety training / inductions / RAMs to ensure a safe way of working.
- Review competencies of the delivery team ensuring the delivery team has the appropriate knowledge and skill set to deliver the works.
- Provide training and development of the delivery team to assist in the promotion of new works and opportunities.
- Must have nature to represent Mitie with professionalism, integrity and honesty at all times.
- Substantial experience of the full life cycle of a number of Construction projects, involving the project management of the project and the staff / operatives working on it.
- Pro-active good at planning ahead as far as possible as the project progresses, checking back to plans/programmes regularly
- Strong sense of achievement; able to drive projects forward, expects good standards of work and able to overcome barriers/ solve problems.
- Organised, good at time management and prioritisation of work
- Reliable, punctual and responsible
Main Duties - Communication
- Maintain strong communications at all levels of the operation highlighting any operational challenges or issues that could impact project delivery.
- Carryout weekly project reviews with the management team.
- Establish strong partnership relationships with the third part contractors and site teams to avoid any miscommunications and unnecessary issues.
- Maintain excellent communications with the delivery team and other Project Managers and Support Teams working within the resource limitations to provide consistency and efficiency of delivery.
- Clearly establish roles and responsibilities of the designated project team at each project kick off meeting giving clarity and ownership of activities.
- Attend Weekly senior meetings to asses project performance and provide updates including potentials for new sales and opportunities.
Main Duties - Finance
- Provide accurate time management and recording of resources to allow true margin / cost analysis
- Be responsible for raising Purchase Order requests for equipment and services to enable project delivery
- Escalate issues relating to aborted visits, equipment issues and additional costs should issues occur on owned projects.
- Ensure effective people and cost management through coordination of resources
- Involvement in the planning and budget estimations for the activities of the team to include monitoring and follow-up budget execution
- Manage the monthly WIP and Partial release allocation for each of the owned projects.
Clients / Account development
- Establish strong and trusting relationships with all clients, recognising when to go the extra mile to deliver the highest quality service.
- Evaluate when the benefits and rewards of the relationship are worth more than short term or one-off profit gains.
- Treat every project as an opportunity to extend the relationship with the client with the aim of securing a long-term project pipeline.
- Provide accurate and timely responses to quotes and communications.
- Provide regular updates for each project which is communicated to the client.
- Recognise the importance of internal monthly cost transfers, seeking approval from the internal client prior to the end of month revenue transfer.
- Ideally a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a project management role.
- Can demonstrate Project management experience
- Strong BMS and Energy related knowledge to a level that allows verification of operation and witness testing
- A strong electrical and mechanical knowledge base
- A good understanding of metering and the benefits this brings to energy management
- An ability to prepare business cases and recognise the financial and commercial benefits to help clients justify projects.
- The ability to act on own initiative within budget constraints to bring about the required results using internal or external resources.
- Capable of carrying out site surveys and preparing proposals for BMS and metering projects
- A good understanding of CDM
- A passion for ensuring Health and Safety standards are a priority in every site activity carried out.
- Financial awareness and project accounting.
- Commercially able to make good business judgements.
- Excellent people management skills to motivate good cross-functional relationships.
- Competent in preparing specifications for energy projects, IoT and BMS equipment.
- Competent to maintain the company and client H&S standards.
- Customer focus on providing solutions beneficial to customers and financially viable for Mitie Energy
Health and Safety responsibilities
- Follow Group and company policies and procedures at all times;
- Report any apparent deficiencies in systems of work or equipment provided that may result in failure of service delivery or risk to health and safety or the environment;
- Use all work equipment and personal PPE properly and in accordance with training received;
- Report any issues or training needs to your Line manager and /or via your divisional incident reporting system;
- Ensure compliance with Mitie's information security procedures in all activities;
- Proactively identify and report security risks to your manager;
- Report actual and suspected security incidents;
This job description Is intended to give the post holder an appreciation of the role envisaged for this position and the range of duties undertaken. Specific tasks and objectives will be agreed with the post holder throughout the period of employment. The job description may be varied from time to time by the Company to reflect changes in the post holder’s role and/or the needs of the business.