ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for an entrepreneurial and ambitious Director to scale Generation's programmes and partnerships across London. This is a high-impact and hands-on role. By leading Generation’s efforts in our largest UK region, you will be central to the delivery of social impact, creating pathways for people facing barriers into life-changing career opportunities. A key aspect of the remit is to secure buy-in from a growing network of employers who recruit from our programmes. This is through direct business development, channel sales with local and national partners, and broader awareness building to fuel demand. The role also has responsibility for funder relationships, building on the foundations of a large ESF grant secured for delivery of programmes from 2020 to 2023. The role will also be a key member of the Generation UK & Ireland’s leadership team and will report into Generation’s Chief Partnership Officer.
The Generation team in London is currently 4 and will likely grow to 10-20 people over the coming years. Delivery is supported by our central operations team as well as Generation’s global network of experts: both groups are on hand to provide resources and other services. This ranges from curriculum and programme guidance, through to ongoing support and synergy as the operation scales up.
Generation's mission is to train, coach and support people into life-changing careers that would otherwise be inaccessible.
We are a UK registered charity, part of a network of global Generation organisations, originally born out of McKinsey and Co. Through our unique approach we also solve a wide range of employer challenges—skilled talent shortages, poor job performance, lack of diversity, and high turnover.
Generation launched globally in 2015 and has grown quickly to become the world’s largest demand-led employment initiative. We have placed over 40,000 people into roles (many of whom have suffered some form of adversity), working with over 4,000 employer partners to date across 14 countries and 26 professions.
Generation UK&I is currently running training to employment programs in London, Manchester, West Midlands and Dublin. Recent ESF funding wins mean we are also expanding operations to Leeds, with more regions likely to be added in 2022. We run a range of tech programmes with partners including Amazon Web Services, Multiverse and Infinity Works, as well as programmes supporting people into healthcare through the NHS.
In 2020, the coronavirus pandemic transformed the employment landscape beyond recognition, with young people (the majority of the people we help) being the hardest hit. At the same time, the Black Lives Matter movement has brought issues of social injustice into sharper focus, and is firmly on the priority agenda of most corporates.
By joining Generation UK&I now, you will become part of an organisation determined to play its part in addressing both of these challenges over the coming months and years.
- Identify and engage employers to recruit from Generation programmes through direct outreach, securing their commitment to hire, and managing commercials typically on a ‘fee per hire’ basis. Includes commercial responsibility for securing employer buy-in and hitting an income target
- Leverage partner networks such as AWS, Multiverse, Makers Academy, as a route to engage employers at a wider scale.
- Manage Generation’s relationship with delivery partners in the region, delivering marketing events to engage employers at scale.
- Build awareness of Generation throughout the region by effective marketing materials and initiatives.
- Work with DWP / ESF, aligning on project goals, and reporting back on progress on the agreed project, insights, and future plans for the region.
- Secure additional funding: identify new funding opportunities, develop proposals, and secure local government, CSR or philanthropic funding (to complement funding already secured, plus the fees secured from employers on an ongoing basis).
Player & Coach
- Hands-on responsibility for business development and overarching responsibility for commercial results.
- In parallel, responsible for building out a team, including recruitment, training, and leadership of people specifically focussed on employer engagement to secure vacancy pledges and income generation
- Create the 3-5 year vision for programmes across Greater London Authority, identifying the key sectors, and job types Generation should be focussing on.
- Generation’s approach is always to be ‘demand-led’, in that the strategy should be led by the best pathways into life-changing opportunities we can secure in any given region. As such, the approach is for Partnership Directors to lead on the creation of strategic plans for their region, before getting feedback from the executive team, and then from operational teams who will be responsible for elements of delivery.
- The strategic plan should outline an ambition to grow impact through increased learner numbers, high job outcome rates, high rates of social impact, and a solid financial plan to support delivery.
- This role has full and direct responsibility for partnerships across London, including employers, local channels and funders.
- The role will also involve close collaboration with key teams responsible for delivery of operational aspects in London:
- Generation's Learning and Admissions functions ,which has direct responsibility for learner recruitment processes.
- Generation’s CMI function, led by the Chief Learning Officer, who have responsibility to deliver all elements associated with Curriculum, Mentorship, Instruction (CMI).
- The shared KPIs for full delivery include:
- Number of people supported / trained
- Beneficiary profile (in line with the charities goals)
- Course completion rates
- Job placement rates
- Improvements in students’ financial and personal wellbeing
Contribute to the wider success of Generation
- Work closely with colleagues to feed in learnings and share best practices
- Facilitate roll-out of new initiatives from the Global or UK team to your region
- Work closely with Generation leadership to identify and develop new opportunities, and help to shape and grow the UK and Global organisations
You're highly organised and self-motivated.
You are an ambitious leader. You recognise the importance of what we are trying to achieve, long term, and see your role in that.
You have a track record of commercial wins, and experience of leading a sales & marketing function.
You’re resourceful; you know how to find things, solve things, answer questions, reach people.
You are passionate about the cause. You have a demonstrated interest and motivation to support those from a disadvantaged background.
You have sound judgement. You work independently, and when faced with issues react calmly and logically.
You’re positive, solutions-oriented, and entrepreneurial individual with a drive for excellence.
You can engage remotely and with autonomy.
Ultimately you have experience of building and leading sales functions to generate reliable pipelines of leads and opportunities