Mitie was founded in 1987, and is the UK’s leading facilities management and professional services company, looking after a large, diverse, blue-chip customer base, from banks and retailers, to hospitals, schools and government offices. Mitie has over 77,000 people, 100+ office locations, and thousands of customers across the country, there’s no limit to what you can achieve if you work for us.
Delivering the exceptional, every day
• Our purpose: our expertise, care, technology and insight create amazing work environments, helping our customers be exceptional every day.
• Our promise to our people: a place to work where you can thrive and be your best every day.
• Our promise to our customers: a trusted partner creating exceptional environments for your customers and people, adding value every day.
• Our culture – our core values and how we behave:
1. We are one Mitie: we work as one to deliver a seamless, unrivalled service. We are all in it together, if we can help a customer or colleague in any way, we will. We are one Mitie.
2. We are built on integrity and trust: integrity and trust are at the heart of all we do. We are the face of company. We treat others as we would like to be treated. We are proud to work for Mitie.
3. We go the extra mile: whether it’s keeping things running smoothly in a safe environment, looking for new ways to do things better or fixing problems, going the extra mile for our colleagues and customers and keeping our promises is in our DNA.
4. Our diversity makes us stronger: we are very proud of our rich and diverse culture and backgrounds. Our diversity creates ideas and insights. Everyone at Mitie has a voice and is treated as an equal.
5. Our customers’ business, is our business: we are a partner, trusted for our expertise and for putting our customers at the heart of everything we do.
• Knowledge of relevant procedures
• Level of customer Service
• Team Player
• Health and safety awareness and knowledge
The Technical Lead – Digital Applications will be responsible to deliver highly effective application software within the Web and Mobile technologies which underpin Mitie’s strategic objective to become the industry leader in facilities management and connected workspace. A technical hands-on role with focus on providing necessary assurance over delivery from our partners and designing and building complex solution – the successful candidate must have extensive proven experience in implementing technical solutions and effective in both new and more established technologies across the development stack.
Main Duties - Technical
· Hands-on development in the technologies: ReactJS, NodeJS, .NET, C#, Xamarin, CSS/HTML, SCSS and other related open source technologies
· Design complex solutions that effectively work end-end across system components and various applications across the development stack (“Full-stack”)
· Provide assurance over the development and occasionally carry out complex design/ development tasks, as required
· Recommend alternative approaches if specific difficulties are encountered which require a modification of the design or where an alternative approach may be more efficient
· You lead the resolution of technical issues arising on the project promptly to keep the project on track
· Advocate quality through the use of best practice techniques and tools for development teams
· Monitor the writing of clean, testable, and well-documented code
· Own, develop and oversee bug tracking and resolution
· Ensure non-functional requirements (performance, auditing, security, and on-going support) are considered during development
· Complete any ad-hoc duties as requested
· Manage our development lifecycle processes
· Review and provide QA on outcomes, as well as integrating customer feedback to the QA process
· Guarantee overall software quality and enforce engineering standards
· Ensure there is a good balance between product innovation, technical debt reduction and delivery goals
Main Duties - Team
· Co-ordinate with team manager, team lead & project managers on programming and other tasks
· Working collaboratively with colleagues from across the organisation and external
· Adhere to Mitie standards and processes
· Take ownership and responsibility for self tasks and work with minimum governance and steer
- Degree in IT
- Extensive hands-on development experience
- Experience with front end technologies such as CSS/HTML, React and SCSS
- Understanding of the design and implementation of RESTful web services
- Knowledge at least one RDBMS (e.g., SQL Server) and one NoSQL databases
- Experience with Azure, in particular Azure AD, Azure SQL, AppService, Notification Hub, etc.
- Understanding of different test types (e.g., unit, integration, acceptance, etc.) and experience with latest tools
- Confidence in the use of DVCS (e.g., branching, merging) and associated tools (e.g., Git and/or GitHub)
- Good knowledge of application security, frameworks, and tools (e.g., best practices, protocols, PCI, IDS)
- Knowledge of multiple network protocols and capabilities (e.g., DNS, TCP/IP, HTTP, Routing, firewalls)
- Exposure and hands-on experience working across the technology stack (“Full-stack”)
- Strong experience of design, development and support of IT solutions
- Experience of working with with Onshore/Offshore teams
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Logical and critical thinking skills
- Well organised, methodical and disciplined approach
- Willingness to work outside standard working hours if project timelines require
- Knowledge of setting up automated builds and continuous integration pipelines in Azure DevOps
- Familiarity with application monitoring and logging tools (e.g., NewRelic, AppDynamics, Splunk, ELK)
- Familiarity of the Linux operating system
- Knowledge of messaging systems and architectures (e.g., RabbitMQ, Kafka, Pub/Sub)
- Understanding of performance and scaling concepts (e.g., load balancing, CDNs, sharding, monitoring)
- Awareness of high availability and failover solutions (e.g., active-active, active-passive, pilot light, multiple data centres)
- Understanding of different architectural patterns (e.g., layered, client/server, SOA, Microservices)
- Familiarity with principles and concerns affecting development go high performing apps (e.g., 12 factors, 15 factors)
Health and Safety responsibilities
- Follow Group and company policies and procedures at all times;
- Report any apparent deficiencies in systems of work or equipment provided that may result in failure of service delivery or risk to health and safety or the environment;
- Use all work equipment and personal PPE properly and in accordance with training received;
- Report any issues or training needs to your Line manager and /or via your divisional incident reporting system;
- Ensure compliance with Mitie's information security procedures in all activities;
- Proactively identify and report security risks to your manager;
- Report actual and suspected security incidents;
This job description Is intended to give the post holder an appreciation of the role envisaged for this position and the range of duties undertaken. Specific tasks and objectives will be agreed with the post holder throughout the period of employment. The job description may be varied from time to time by the Company to reflect changes in the post holder’s role and/or the needs of the business.