- Location: London, EC4A (hybrid home and office working)
- Accountable to: Senior Member of the Investment Group
- Contract type: Full-time, permanent contract (open to flexible working or job-share options)
- Salary: £47,000 - £55,000 (depending on experience)
Overall Purpose of the Role:
We are seeking to appoint exceptional Investment Managers to play a key role in meeting our investment objectives. This is an exciting time to join BSC as we are about to launch our 2025 strategy, building upon what we have learnt since we started our impact investing journey in 2012.
It is a unique opportunity for experienced candidates who want to help transform the way mainstream financial markets help deliver deep and lasting impact on people in the UK. Your work will help to solve some of the UK’s most entrenched social issues, so we are looking for someone who shares our passion to improve people’s lives in collaboration with the wider organisation and our external partners, and who is enthusiastic about designing and developing creative solutions.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
Big Society Capital is committed to being a diverse organisation that is truly representative of the communities we serve. We are an equal opportunities employer with an inclusive environment where all employees can contribute to their fullest potential.
We want every colleague to be able to deliver their work with dignity, equality, comfort and independence. Our office is fully accessible with step-free access and an open-plan set up. We are open to accommodation requests regarding assistive technologies, accessibility tools, flexible working or any other reasonable adjustments that will make working or visiting here more accessible for you.
If you have a disability and require any support to assist you through the recruitment process, please get in touch with Ruth Davidson (HR Manager) at email@example.com.
The Investment Managers will take responsibility for some of our investment objectives, working with colleagues across the organisation. The job holder(s) will:
Support the development of new investment opportunities in one of our focus areas:
- Helping identify social issues where social investment can help support a solution;
- Supporting the development of creative and innovative solutions to these identified social issues including building collaborative partnerships with diverse stakeholders.
Lead prospective investments through our investment process:
- Project and relationship management;
- Undertake detailed investment analysis, including of the market, the prospective investee, and the financial, social impact and systems change cases;
- Support the structuring of prospective investments;
- Prepare and present investment recommendations to our Investment Committee;
- Help negotiate legal documents and close transactions.
Manage a number of our existing portfolio investments
- Working with social investors to evaluate and manage their financial and social performance;
- Help the long-term business development of social investors, with reference to our Building Blocks framework;
- Help to build a world class social impact investment team and approach at Big Society Capital.
- Support our engagement work with investors and with charities and social enterprises to build and sustain a successful social investment market.
- Essential experience
- A passion and demonstrable commitment to improving lives in the UK
- Experience of detailed analysis
- Work experience that faces the financial, social or public sector
- Proven relationship building and influencing skills
- Social investment background
- Relevant experience in housing, venture investment, social outcomes contracts or lending
- Proven project management skills
Skills, abilities and
- Structured thinker - able to deal with complexity and uncertainty
- Innovative, creative and strategic approach to problem solving
- Solves problems with multiple stakeholders in an open and empathetic way
- Collegial team player - Flexible and willing to work with and contribute to a team
- Self-starter - able to work under own initiative and source new opportunities
- Relationship management – excellent interpersonal skills and able to build relationships at all levels
- A confident and effective communicator
- Hunger for continued learning and development, including developing others.
Salary and terms of employment
This is a full-time, permanent role – open to flexible working or job-share options
Salary - £47,000 - £55,000 (full time equivalent) per annum, depending on experience
Location: We are a UK-based business with an office in the Chancery Lane area of London, accessible to a number of public transport links. Our hybrid working approach allows colleagues to spend 40% - 60% of their working hours in the office, and the remainder from home. We hope that this working pattern encourages Big Society Capital employees to achieve a healthy balance between work and personal goals, as we continue to adapt to the changing needs of our diverse workforce.
Right to Work in the UK: for candidates who require a visa to work in the UK, we will consider sponsoring applications
For a more detailed view of the role, please click here.
Please apply via the apply button by midday on Monday 11th October 2021.
Interviews will be held in mid-late October 2021
During the recruitment process and beyond, we will be as flexible as possible in light of any COVID-19 priorities and challenges which you may be facing.