Lead our energy strategy advisory services in PPM South, London
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world
Job Title: Associate Director - Energy Strategy Advisory (PPM)
Closing date: 28 October 2020
The UK Energy sector is faced with many challenges associated with the transitin to a net zero carbon economy. Arup provides a wide range of public and private clients with engineering and management consultancy services in this sector and is at the forefront in many areas of technical development. Arup’s Programme and Project Management (PPM) practice in London has grown a strong Energy business over the last 5 years, initially focused on supporting National Grid in delivering sophisticated transmission projects, and has recently established a more diverse portfolio of delivery and advisory services, in partnership with the other teams in Consulting and energy and infrastructure specialists elsewhere in the firm.
The PPM South energy team is now looking for a professional project/programme manager with a strong technical background and advisory approach who can lead the winning and delivery of integrated advisory commissions in this area, which are aligned to the Global and Region Energy Business Plans and the new Arup Strategy.
The objective is for the successful candidate to have created within 2 years additional consulting business in the PPM cost centre with an additional annual turnover of at least £2m, as well as supported the growth of the London Energy Hub through their active participation in collective working winning and delivery.
Further develop the breadth of your leadership skills:
- Work winning – new and existing clients
- Project Director for advisory services
- Quality of work
- New services development
- Team leadership and staff development
- Developing own skills
Strategies this role aligns to:
Global Energy Business Plan 2020-2023
UKIMEA Energy Business Direction of Travel
Arup Global Strategy
- Developing and delivering products and services at C-suite level that assist clients to consider the impact of the energy transformation on their business strategy.
- Advising on how businesses can redefine their purpose to deliver net zero carbon business operations and support low carbon technologies.
- Market entry strategy for low carbon products as services.
- Support energy clients handle and mitigate climate change impacts on their business and assets.
- Leading united teams to develop new business models and policy recommendations to enable investments in the energy transition.
- Integrate digital solutions into new products and services.
Change and evaluation:
- Application of techniques for the successful delivery of change initiatives.
- Benefits mapping and value management planning
- Leadership and support for business improvement and business change initiatives
- Development and implementation of evaluation frameworks using models such as Theory of Change and Magenta Book.
- Finding opportunities for Arup to build novel and innovative commissions and projects with multiple clients through alignment of multiple clients’ strategic objectives across an entire energy system ecosystem and supply chain.
- Build the correct environment and business case to allow investment both from clients and Arup.
- Work collaboratively with Arup Ventures to develop investment cases and exit strategies.
- Analysis, development and implementation of new operating models and process improvements needed to increase the likelihood of successful outcomes
- Portfolio, Programme or Project level reviews, recommendations and advice, in any aspect of governance and delivery
- Stakeholder management and communications support
- Advice on implementing programme/project management best practice
Programme management support:
- Business case development through techno-economic evaluation using principles aligned to the Green Book but considering whole energy system thinking and the aim to net zero.
- Recommending and establishing governance arrangements for Programme of works
- Preparing relevant governance documents (programme definition document, programme management plan, terms of reference etc.)
- Advising and supporting the Senior Responsible Owner in establishing the required programme coordination and control mechanisms.
- Advising and supporting the Senior Responsible Owner in preparing for programme gateways reviews and audits.
- Leadership of non-construction focused, sophisticated energy programmes, such as R&D, innovation and first of kind demonstrators.
- Degree qualified in a relevant field, ideally either management or STEM.
- Professional qualification equivalent to chartered status.
- Experience of successful delivery of sophisticated and challenging energy commissions to time, cost, and quality objectives.
- Experience of working in an energy client/developer organisation or meaningful experience as a strategic consultant.
- Experience in the new and developing areas of energy consultancy work in the UK.
- Strong, validated capability in successful strategic advice, project, programme or portfolio management of sophisticated schemes, especially during their development phase.
- Familiar with reporting to and at senior project / executive boards.
- Consistent track record in winning work for themselves and their team, and delivering a high value programme or portfolio management service to the client (or proven transferrable skills and experience).
- Strong commercial awareness of a client’s business drivers and the business case for change programmes.
- Experience of working as part of multi-company partnerships is desirable.
- Proven capability in crafting business proposals to pitch to clients, by drawing together the relevant technical expertise from across a multi-disciplinary firm.
Experience working in some or all of these areas within Energy sector:
- Strategic advice
- Project creation
- Business strategy
- Market entry strategy
- Business case development
- Project, Programme and Portfolio Management outside of construction projects
- Project/programme controls
- Project/programme Health-checks
- Governance advisory
- Benefits management
- Implementing PPM excellence initiatives for clients
- Operational readiness, ground-breaking change
- Some work outside normal office hours may be vital.
- Travel to and from client sites /or temporary assignments to client’s offices may also be required.
- There will be opportunities for international travel and applicants with a desire for non-UK based assignments will be welcomed.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical, and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
Shape your time
At Arup, you’ll be a welcomed member of the team with opportunities to participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or by joining one of our staff networks for women, culture or LGBT+ people. You’ll have access to a range of flexible working options – whether you’re a parent, a carer, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle - we recognise it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours so if you're interested in flexible start and finish times, working from home or working part-time, please let us know when you apply, and we'll discuss how this could work in your role.
Equality and diversity
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcome all qualified applicants. You will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to sex, race, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status. We recognise that not all disabilities are visible and will make reasonable adjustments to cater for diverse applicants in the selection and assessment process.
What happens next?
If this could be the next step in your journey, please apply online. All applications will be considered, and we will try our very best to respond to you within 72 hours of receiving your application