Location: Bristol or London ideally, but we will consider candidates based anywhere in the UK who are willing to travel regularly to offices in these locations and to Foundation events.
Hours: Part time, 18.75 hours per week. Specific working hours open to discussion.
Salary: Up to £60,000 pro-rata + benefits
What the job involves:
Founded by The Unite Group plc in 2012, the Unite Foundation is an established registered charity that provides a unique, national accommodation scholarship for care leavers and estranged young people who want to go to university. This is a group of students that is often overlooked and under-supported. Our scholarship takes care of a place for students to live throughout their studies so that they can focus on embracing the full university experience and plan their future.
Though our scholars are united by their `status`, their backgrounds, experiences, challenges and aspirations are all different. Our vision is for our scholars to lead their narrative and for us to work with them to instigate changes that improve the university experience for all care leaver and estranged students.
As well as being accountable to the Board of Trustees for the achievement of annual targets, our new leader will be passionate about raising the profile of the Unite Foundation and the needs of our young people - and working with them to campaign for change. You will also be accountable for the achievement of overall targets as agreed with the Board of Trustees, supporting the operational team to turn board level strategy into achievable plans.
The Unite Foundation Director will be employed by Unite Students (Unite Group plc) on behalf of the Unite Foundation and will report to the Chair of the Foundation, acting on behalf of the Board of Trustees.
You can find out more about the Unite Foundation here.
We are especially keen to hear from candidates with personal experience of care or estrangement.
To give you an idea of what to expect, you`ll be:
- Advising the Board of Trustees on strategic and policy matters by identifying sector risks and opportunities relevant to the care experienced/estranged student experience
- Improving the life chances of care experienced and estranged students by credibly representing the lived experience of scholars, actively supporting scholar self-advocacy and expression in the Higher Education sector and within policy influence or debate.
- Meeting the Foundation`s charitable goals via operational strategy, public policy development and implementation.
- Campaigning for the interests of Unite Foundation scholars and their peers within national media, Higher Education thought leadership and the policy arena.
- Creating the strong Board-level relationships with partners and principal donor Unite Students, that further charitable impact.
- Monitoring, evaluation and Board reporting of finances, strategic impact and charitable outcomes.
- Compliance with relevant charity legislation and governance good practice including financial control, data protection, risk management and safeguarding.
- Line managing the Foundation Head of Operations and empowering team members, Unite Students staff or volunteers to deliver required outputs, add value and continually improve scholar experience.
- Supporting the effectiveness and professional development of the Foundation team.
What we look for in you:
- Previous experience of operating at a senior level within in the charity or educational sectors.
- Good, recent working knowledge of policy and practice around widening participation in higher education is highly desirable.
- Experience in public policy work in areas relevant to the work of the Unite Foundation, with experience of working on programmes aimed at care experienced or estranged young people a particular advantage.
- Experience of meeting the statutory and reporting requirements for a UK charity.
- Experience of charitable fundraising, including stewardship of donors and sponsors.
- A passion for the work of the Unite Foundation and a commitment to credible representation of scholarship student interests.
- High level of personal integrity.
- Highly developed relationship building, communication and influencing skills along with personal credibility.
- Experience of working on programmes aimed at care experienced or estranged young people.
- Excellent public speaking skills.
- Excellent business acumen and strong commercial and financial awareness.
- Strong team building, decision-making and people management skills.
- Basic understanding of data protection legislation and experience of developing and maintaining a team. environment where personal data is kept protected, confidential and secure.
- We are particularly keen to hear from candidates with personal experience of care or estrangement.
Additional benefits of working with the Unite Foundation:
- 25 days` holiday
- A dedicated, friendly and passionate team
- Discounts at certain restaurants, retailers and entertainment venues as part of Unite Students’ standard staff reward programme
- Unite Students has earned the Gold Investors in People Award.
Please be assured, we are still recruiting and will be taking the necessary precautions, in line with Government and WHO guidelines, to ensure the health and safety of candidates, employees and Unite Foundation Trustees during the recruitment process.
Unite Students is an equal opportunities employer and alongside the Foundation welcomes people of all ages, ethnicities, disabilities, religions, gender identities and sexual orientations. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.